Hi Norman -

You are correct that Jupyterhub will serve without SSL simply by not
providing the SSL keys. There used to be an explicit "--no-ssl" flag but
that was deprecated with the 0.7 release.

My suspicion is that this is going to be more finicky than you would like.
Presumably you want users to be able to connect to the service using either
endpoint. The simplest approach would be to run two fully parallel
Jupyterhub stacks, but in that case your users would get two independent
sessions if they connected through both endpoints. Maybe that is acceptable
for your use case.

If not, you thus need to ensure that both Hub/Proxy pairs know about
sessions and routes modified by the other. You can do this by pointing them
at a common database backend, but I don't think this has been extensively
tested and there may be corner cases where one Hub fails to query the DB at
the right time. Certainly you will want to use a RDBMS server backend,
since the default sqlite implementation is not safe for parallel access.

Alternately, and possibly more robustly, you could subclass the Proxy
interface to make a single Hub drive two copies of the Proxy component.
https://jupyterhub.readthedocs.io/en/latest/reference/proxy.html

Personally, I would just run a single Jupyterhub stack (without SSL) behind
nginx, and also have nginx or the Proxy (see "--redirect-port" at
https://github.com/jupyterhub/configurable-http-proxy) serve a redirect
from port 8000 to the nginx endpoint.

Regards,
Michael

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 1:04 PM, Norman Gray <norman.x.g...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Roland, hello.
>
> On 22 Mar 2018, at 8:22, Roland Weber wrote:
>
> Afaik, listening on two different ports is not possible without changing
>> code.
>>

> Righto -- thanks for confirming.
>
> You could also solve your problem by keeping JupyterHub on the deprecated
>> SSL port, and encrypting the connection between the SSL-terminating proxy
>> and JupyterHub.
>>

> Yes -- I'm going to run two servers, an exposed SSL one and a
> reverse-proxied non-SSL one.
>
> Are they likely to fight with one another, do you think?  I can't think of
> a reason why they would, but I could be lacking imagination here.
>
> I'm sure that pull requests to improve the documentation will be happily
>> accepted :-)
>>

> I've added an issue <https://github.com/jupyterhub/jupyterhub/issues/1747>
> which includes some suggested text.
>
> Thanks for your help.  Best wishes,
>
> Norman
>

> --
> Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk
>
> --
> gid/jupyter/2F6AB0DA-4FA4-49B9-A202-231700E5090D%40gmail.com.

Michael Milligan, Ph.D.         | Supercomputing Institute
Assistant Director for          | University of Minnesota
   Application Development      | milli...@umn.edu
www.msi.umn.edu/staff/milligan  | Phone: 612-624-8857