Dear all,

this is a job advert; application deadline 15 May 2018.

The project and position is about the integration of an existing computational
science tool called OOMMF (a simulation of magnetism at the nanoscale) into
Jupyter, so that the simulation software can be driven and analysed from the
Jupyter Notebook. For this, we have already a Python interface to the
simulation software, and are now in the process of tidying up the
implementation, improving the data analysis and visualisation aspect within the
Notebook, improving the distribution, etc.
Please see below for details, and don’t hesitate to contact Marijan Beg or
myself with questions.

The position position is limited to 6 months, but well paid with an
international bonus. The language of work is english. Please get in touch if
you like more information on employment details, future options etc.

Best wishes,

Hans

> Join our team
>
> European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg
> area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays
> of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences,
> materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities
> at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide
> range of experimental techniques. Early user operation started in September
> 2017.
>
> To support the contribution from European XFEL to the Horizon 2020 project
> OpenDreamKit, we are looking for a scientist with very good software skills
> or a software engineer with interest in science for a period of 6 months.
> OpenDreamKit has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020
> research and innovation programme Grant agreement No 676541.
>
> Software Engineer – Computational Science (f/m)
>
> The position
>
> lead and contribute to software design, testing, implementation, refactoring,
> documentation, and code review of software contributing to OpenDreamKit
> <http://opendreamkit.org/>
> contribute to the development of the Python interface for the Object Oriented
> MicroMagnetic Framework (OOMMF <https://math.nist.gov/oommf/>)  and its
> integration into Jupyter  <http://jupyter.org/>
> contribute to the dissemination of the resulting package (Jupyter-OOMMF
> <http://github.com/joommf>) in the form of project documentation and reports,
> conference contributions, peer-reviewed publications, remote and in-person
> user support and workshops for JOOMMF users
> attend project meetings, international conferences, and workshops if required
> collaborate with researchers and software engineers from different science
> domains and institutions
> Requirements
>
> MSc or equivalent professional experience in Computer Science, Computational
> Science, Engineering, Physics, or similar (PhD experience welcome)
> Experience working with Linux and version control
> Python programming experience
> Understanding the use of computer simulations in science and engineering
> Experience of using Jupyter notebook
> The following is considered an asset:
>
> experience of using all major operation systems (Windows, MacOS, Linux)
> experience of using common tools and procedures in software engineering
> (testing, version control, containerization, continuous integration)
> experience working with open source software and associated ecosystem (e.g.
> GitHub, TravisCI, DockerHub)
> experience of writing API documentation, and tutorials for users
> experience with scientific python libraries (numpy, scipy, pandas)
> interest in visualisation and related packages (matplotlib, seaborn, ...)
> working with scientists
> For additional information, please contact Hans Fangohr (hans.fang...@xfel.eu
> <mailto:hans.fang...@xfel.eu>).

> [...]

Prof Hans Fangohr
Senior Data Analysis Scientist
European XFEL GmbH Holzkoppel 4
22869 Schenefeld
Germany

Phone:+49 (0)40 8998-6702
Fax: +49 (0)40 8998-1905
Email: hans.fang...@xfel.eu <mailto:hans.fang...@xfel.eu>
web: http://www.xfel.eu <http://www.xfel.eu/>
web: http://fangohr.github.io <http://fangohr.github.io/>

Managing Director: Prof. Dr. Robert Feidenhans’l, Dr. Nicole Elleuche

Registered as European X-Ray Free-Electron Laser Facility GmbH at Amtsgericht
Hamburg, HRB 111165

Professor of Computational Modelling
University of Southampton
United Kingdom