OK, the answer to my first question would be to use conda-forge, didn't
realize the kubernetes client was available there, so:

conda update -n base -c defaults conda

did the trick.

I'm still interested to understand why my virtualenv/cygwin/jupyter was
picking up my Anaconda Python3 kernel though - pour mourir moins bete as
they say around here.