look at the nbgrader docs around "philosophy and the approach" that will
show you the folder structure.  That structure is not created by default in
jupyterhub when you install nbgrader.  I believe at the miniumum you need
the source folder and a folder that is identified in the nbgrader_config.py
file as the course id.  If you run "nbgrader quickstart <some course id >"
that will generate the folder minimum folder structure as an example to
follow.

cheers,

alvin