Hello -

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 10:16 AM Norman Gray <norman.x.g...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael, hello.
>
> On 1 Sep 2020, at 15:27, 'Michael Milligan' via Project Jupyter wrote:
>
> > It sounds like you want
> > https://github.com/rcthomas/jupyterhub-announcement
> >
> > That plugin is developed and used at NERSC to do communication with
> > their
> > users in much the way you describe. We should probably do something
> > about
> > making it more discoverable.
>
> That's very useful -- thanks -- and seems to do exactly what's required
> in terms of announcements.
>
> For the benefit of those users who _will not read_, is there any way of
> inhibiting logins, or of either communicating with them (in the sense of
> 'we're rebooting -- go out for a walk!') or booting them off in a
> controlled way?

It is straightforward to stop user sessions from the Jupyterhub admin page.
I'm not aware of a "nologin" type solution, but it sounds simple enough
that someone has probably implemented one.

Unfortunately the weak link here is communicating with users who are
already in running sessions. Jupyterhub can't easily help there, as by that
time the user experience is under the control of the notebook server,
jupyterlab, or whatever frontend they happen to be using. So your solution
will depend on what your users are actually doing. I'd also be curious to
know if others in this forum have solutions for that.

--
Michael Milligan, Ph.D.    | Supercomputing Institute
Assistant Director for     | University of Minnesota