Ah, I think I solved my own problem.  Posting in case this happens to
anyone else, and they get here via a Google search (as I did).  After
making sure I exported my current settings, I deleted K9, then used CC
Cleaner to make sure everything was cleared away.  I then re-installed K9,
reloaded the settings, and it has been behaving since!  Whew!  Aqua Mail
was looking to be a somewhat decent replacement, but $10 seemed a bit
much.  Glad I didn't push the "buy" button yet.  :-)