It's possible Google changed something. They've been known to move fast and break things. Also, they probably don't have K-9 on their radar anymore than they do other Android mail clients outside of their own products (and possibly the Android version of Outlook, big corporations tend to like other big corporations, for some reason).

I agree, Apple does really good tech support. When I recommend computers for non-technical people, I recommend Apple.

I've never tried to email Google about anything, figuring that if I can't find a solution with a search engine, there probably isn't a known solution available.

I've used Google Hangouts once - worked with a team of college students on a project and that's what they used. Otherwise, I don't use it at all.

Then webmail! I hate webmail. I've never found a webmail that wasn't clunky, slow and difficult to use. (Note: My ISP's webmail is worse. But I understand that a number of smaller ISPs use a branded version of GMail for their webmail.) I'm a dinosaur: give me a standalone mail client like K-9, Thunderbird, PMail, even clunky Outlook instead of a webmail interface. Even a text email client like Alpine, PINE or old moldy Elm!

So you're not alone, I guess you can call me picky, too. :)