Honna Smal <deb...@mail.com> writes:

> What is the maximum size for sending emails with large attachments?

I am not sure that k-9 has a specific limit.  But I sent things over 4
MB, perhaps even close to 20 MB, fairly often, with no trouble.   I've
been reading the k-9 mail list for years, and have not seen similar
reports of trouble.

Keep in mind that a 3 MB file is a 4 MB attachment, more or less, with
base64 encoding.

Mail servers have a configured size limit, as David said.  But it would
seem odd, these days, for 4 MB to run afoul of that.

> I could not email an attachment of over 4 MB via public wifi nor via my own
> home wifi.

To debug this, you need to look at the server logs, and see what the
server recorded.

Also, set up adb and see what k-9 logs.

You say "could not", but that is not specific enough.  For people to
help you, you need to be describe more details, including the timeline
from pressing send and the precise error you received.

You say "could not" about "public wifi" and "home wifi", but do not
mention cellular, or anything else.  Do you mean "I tried those two
things, and can't readily try anything else, and I have never seen it
work"?

You didn't explain if regular text mail works, and if you have tried
successively smaller attachments to find a magic size.  Or if your mail
provider has a mail size limit.

You also did not explain if you have set up another email provider and
tried that, or a different client (thunderbird on desktop) to see if
that has the same issue.

> Strangely enough, those emails were removed from the Out map into the Send
> map. So to me it looked as if the emails were actually send. Only this
> appeared not to be the case.

adb logs may be helpful.  The message going from the Outbox to the Sent
folder is not proof that they actually were sent, but evidence that k-9
thought they were accepted by the first-hop server.

Overall, I suspect you will find a problem in the email service (or
perhaps a network which only allows limited-size connections??), and not
in k-9.

Greg