Thx, I was just looking at
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/k-9-mail/F8V0kmcWJ-w/discussion (should
have searched a bit harder before posting) which suggests the power setting
change and I'll save that in case some other things don't do it.

When I tried:  Global Settings > Network > Background sync:  changed it
>   from "Always" to "When 'Auto-sync' is checked, K-9 immediately did a
sync, plus it auto-synced another message a few seconds ago.  But since my
problem is intermittent I can't be sure there is a causal relationship.

I also see where in Settings->Folder Settings->Folder Poll class, my Inbox
was set to "None", and I've set that to "1st Class"--I was just ASSUMEng my
Inbox would be First Class but I guess that's just my vanity talking.

This may take a while, thx for the suggestion, I'll let you know.
--gvc