Hi Berlin,

Berlin Brown wrote:
Of course, I think kaffe will benefit if SUN java goes open source.  That
would be fun.

Depends on the terms and conditions of the code. OpenSource is not enough for kaffe, it needs to be a GPL-compatible license. [1]

Fortunately, we don't really *need* Sun's code, we can get there with our own class libraries. It would be more important if Sun opened up access to their TCK, made JCP more accesible to free software developers, removed the subclassing restrictions, and made it clear they will not pull a SCO anyone. Of course, the last bit is best served if they released code under a GPL-compatible license. But as I said, we don't really need their code, kaffe and gcj (and others) are getting along quite well on their own terms.

So don't hesitate to hack on kaffe, you can always wait for Sun to open source their code in parallel ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] It would be also helpful if Sun changed their license on the documentation to something less draconian. And maybe made clear whether the people exposed to the JDK sources through a debugger (for example) are not automatically tainted.