El dom., 25 nov. 2018 a las 1:51, Mads Kiilerich
(<m...@kiilerich.com>) escribió:

> On 11/24/2018 02:52 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > So since apart from Long Vu (thanks!) there was no response, I guess
> > that indeed no-one is really using the Notifications feature in the
> > top-right of the web UI?
> >
> > Mads, do you know of any useful uses? What would you say about
> > removing it? Main driver would be removal of code and thus simplifying
> > the code base.
>
> These notifications do not really have enough content and context to
> really be useful, and there are too many messages and they are hard to
> navigate. I am not aware of any good use of them.
>
> It could be nice to have an alternative to the constant stream of mails.
> But that is probably more about tweaking the sending of mails. I don't
> think the notifications are on track to help with that.
>
> I think you are right that it would be better to kill it.

Thanks.

In context of emails/notifications, I'm making another attempt at
introducing the draft comment concept Jan Heylen proposed in the past
and which we are using in our work instance. This concept solves the
problem of the 'constant stream of mails'.

First step was removing remaining duplication in changeset and
pullrequest controllers.

Next step is to improve the email content by showing code context
around a comment, for inline comments. This will solve one of the
issues with the current design we are using, in which all comments on
a single changeset or pull request are listed one after the other,
without context, which makes the mail not very useful apart from the
simple fact _that_ there are comments.
But introducing this improvement would be easier if the
UI-notification concept is gone, so I will first attempt that removal
before proceeding.

The final step would then be the actual introduction of draft
comments, delaying email sending until the reviewer is ready with that
changeset or pullrequest.

Best regards,
Thomas