It seems like https://kallithea.readthedocs.io/en/0.7.0/setup.html#internationalization-i18n-support mostly answers the question.

The server side .ini file probably contains something like

   ## Internationalization (see setup documentation for details)
   ## By default, the languages requested by the browser are used if
   available, with English as default.
   ## Set i18n.enabled=false to disable automatic language choice.
   #i18n.enabled = true
   ## To Force a language, set i18n.enabled=false and specify the
   language in i18n.lang.
   ## Valid values are the names of subdirectories in kallithea/i18n
   with a LC_MESSAGES/kallithea.mo
   #i18n.lang = en

The server administrator can disable i18n.

But mainly, in summary: Kallithea is trying to show you the german localization because your web browser asks for it. You can control that yourself - see for example https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-lang-priorities .

/Mads