On Monday 02 March 2009 09:39:02 Steve wrote:
> SingleShotHTTPClient on windows vista goes nuts opening thousands of
> ports when making a connection to an address which requires name
> resolution and which includes a port number.

1 > SingleShotHTTPClient('http://www.google.com/') => OK

Google is listening on port 80.

2 > SingleShotHTTPClient('http://www.google.com:8000/') => Kaboom

www.google.com is not listening on port 8000

BUT they're filtering it, so rather than their system sending back a TCP
RESET, it just doesn't respond. Behaviour of Google with telnet:

~/> telnet www.google.com 8000
Trying 209.85.229.147...
[hang]

Behaviour with a system that's not listening on port 8000 AND not filtering
(meaning the TCP stack responds with a TCP RESET) :

~/code.google/kamaelia/trunk/Code/Python/Kamaelia/Examples> telnet 192.168.2.1
8001
Trying 192.168.2.1...
telnet: connect to address 192.168.2.1: Connection refused

3 > SingleShotHTTPClient('http://66.102.7.99:8000/') => OK

66.102.7.99 8000 is not listening on port 8000
(checked, it isn't - and like www.google.com it's also filtering rather than
just resetting)

4 > SingleShotHTTPClient('http://localhost:8000/') => OK

No idea :)

2 & 3 should result in the same behaviour on your system, and I'm confused as
to why it doesn't at present. I think I need slightly more detail here to
help out fixing whatever is the issue.

Michael.
--
http://yeoldeclue.com/blog