this is being forwarded to the KC.PM mailing list; the
subscription info at the bottom does not apply.  --dln

-----------

                  Perl.com update
       --------------------------------------
       The Email for www.perl.com Subscribers

Free ColdFusion 5 Trial and Seminars Lets You Build Advanced Sites Fast

Macromedia ColdFusion 5 - the fastest way to build and deploy powerful
Web apps - empowers you to increase productivity, simplify management,
and enhance application performance. FREE TRIAL AND FREE SEMINARS.
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/macromedia/cf/2

Hello, world! This is Simon Cozens, www.perl.com managing editor,
bringing you the latest goings on from the world of Perl and our
own site.

* Perl at large.

Waiting for Perl 5.8? Jarkko Hietaniemi has released his roadmap
for 5.8.0-to-be.

    '... a slightly less ambitious plan follows:

    2002-03-04 Monday       5.7.3
    2002-03-25 Monday       Code Freeze for RC1
    2002-04-08 Monday       RC1

    Code Freeze still means "small targeted bug fixes okay".'

Perl hackers in the Netherlands! Those of you in the Rotterdam area
ought to keep the evening of the 7th of March free in your diaries,
as that's the first meeting of the new Rotterdam Perl Mongers Group.
Subscribe to the mailing list for more details:

    http://rotterdam.pm.org/

Hurry, hurry! There's still just about time to get in the final
few presentation proposals for The Perl Conference this year; TPC6
runs from July 22-26 in the San Diego Sheraton Hotel and Marina,
and the deadline for proposals is the 1st of March.

    http://conferences.oreilly.com/os2002/

* What's new on www.perl.com?

In the first article in a new series from Stas Bekman, we look at
what the mod_perl Apache plugin is and what it can do for you.
I've recently been playing with some of the advanced features of
mod_perl and I've been impressed at how much it's simplified all
aspects of dealing with Apache - from the configuration right
through to content delivery. We're particularly glad to have these
articles from Stas, a noted mod_perl hacker, to explain the many
things you can do with mod_perl.

   http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/02/26/whatismodperl.html

Enjoy!

SC

The O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference
P2P, Web Services, Wireless, and Beyond . . .
May 13-16, 2002   Westin Santa Clara, CA

Participate in building the Internet OS.
Day of Tutorials only $200 when you purchase a Conf. Pass
Register Now! and Save $695! Offer ends March 22.
http://conferences.oreilly.com/etcon/

*** Featured Articles ***

Why mod_perl?
In the first of a series of articles from mod_perl guru, Stas
Bekman, we begin by taking a look at what mod_perl is and what it
can do for us.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/02/26/whatismodperl.html

***

Preventing Cross-site Scripting Attacks In Your Web Applications
Paul Lindner, author of the mod_perl Cookbook, explains how to
secure our sites against Cross-Site Scripting attacks using mod_perl
and Apache::TaintRequest.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/02/20/css.html

***

Optimizing Your Perl
Is your perl program taking too long to run? This might be because
you've chosen a data structure or algorithm that takes a long time
to run. By rethinking how you've implemented a function, you might
be able to realize huge gains in speed.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/02/12/bigo.html

***

Visual Perl
Most Perl programmers are die-hard command line freaks, but those
coming to Perl on Windows may be used to a more graphical way to
edit programs. We asked the lead developer of the new Visual Perl
plugin for Microsoft Visual Studio to tell us the advantages of a
graphical IDE.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/02/05/visperl.html

The 4th O'Reilly Open Source Convention, July 22-26, 2002
Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina

The Call for Participation is now live--Individuals and
companies are invited to submit proposals
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2002/
Mark Your Calendar - Registration Begins April 1, 2002