On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:53:07 -0600,
Peter Samuelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[Brendan J Simon]
>> OK.  I saw the instructions.  kbuild-2.5-2.4.17-1 says to patch
>> against the linus-2.4.17 kernel where as kbuild-2.5-2.4.16-ppc-2 says
>> to patch against the marcelo kernel.  I did a search on google and
>> found Marcelo's directory of kernels.  Are these specially patched
>> kernels for PPC or are they stock standard kernels.
>
>Marcelo is the official maintainer of 2.4 now.  He released both 2.4.16
>and 2.4.17.  I'm not sure why someone would refer to the "marcelo
>kernel" except as a synonym for "standard kernel".

The 2.4.16 kbuild patch should have said Marcelo, not Linus.  I use
Linus/Marcelo/AC as a shorthand to tell people which of the 20+ kernel
trees the patch is against.  In particular Marcelo/Linus means the
standard kernel announced by those people, not a RedHat/Debian/whatever
patched kernel and not an architecture specific kernel.