On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> Here's another one - this should fix the forward dependency between
> CONFIG_SOUND and CONFIG_SOUND_ACI_MIXER, by moving the sound config
> into the "Multimedia" menu - where I think it belongs anyway.

Hmmh, makes sense to me, but there will probably be people complaining
"sound config has disappeared for me" ;)

> The big loser here is ARM - it no longer suppresses the sound card
> question for the appropriate boards.  But it's just one question, so I
> didn't sweat it too much.

Well, I think that's okay, but you should check back with _rmk_.

What I like about that patch is that it actually removes duplicated code.
I think that's exactly where this effort should start. For example, the
SCSI patch didn't do this, though AFAICS it would be nicely possible to
unconditionally source drivers/scsi/Config.in and then have the if in
there.

These are trivial changes, and they make it easier to see what's happening
in the patches which actually change behavior. Taking that a step further,
this should also be a nice opportunity to introduce drivers/Config.in and
remove even more duplication from arch/$ARCH/config.in. It comes of the
cost of testing for the architecture, since e.g. s390 does not want to
include most of drivers/*, but that means we'd actually collect this
knowledge at a centralized place.

Introducing drivers/Config.in could be done nicely piecemeal as well,
without any change in behavior which is always good. It would also provide
a possibility to not lose the ARM knowledge.

I think it's basically just a question of taste if you prefer to initial
global subsystem question in drivers/Config.in or
drivers/<subsys>/Config.in.

drivers/isdn/Config.in starts with

        mainmenu_option next_comment
        comment 'ISDN subsystem'
        if [ "$CONFIG_NET" != "n" ]; then
           bool 'ISDN support' CONFIG_ISDN_BOOL

           if [ "$CONFIG_ISDN_BOOL" = "y" ]; then
              mainmenu_option next_comment

since I did not like having that duplicated in each arch/*/config.in. It
also makes sense in the "have as much information as possible about a
subsystem located in one place (drivers/<subsys>)". By the way, if you do
these kind of changes, also check Config.help, you may be able to remove
duplicated entries there as well ;)

The drawbacks of that solution as opposed to having the above in
drivers/Config.in and ending with source "drivers/isdn/Config.in" are:
o We need to source all the Config.in files even when the subsys gets
  disabled, since we cannot know that beforehand
o The trivial patches moving statements like the above into the
  subsys/Config.in means that all of that file should be indented, which
  makes the patches look really large, even though they change very
  little.

I have no strong opinion either way, but I'd certainly like
a drivers/Config.in.

Oh, what I don't like about your patches: You don't include them inline,
so I cannot easily (R)eply to them and have them quoted ;)

--Kai