Hi Christoph

> The various dumping projects like lkcd and the s390 VM dump require
> debug information for the kernel, and they're using a mechanism
> that compiles a small file containing nothing but includes for
> interesting types into a Kerntypes file for the debugger.
>
> Unfortunately the various current ways to generate it are a little
> messy and thus we don't have support for it in mainline.
>
> As a clean way to implement it and supports multiple files that
> can be linked into Kerntypes (e.g. arch or subsystem-specific)
> I'd like to suggest the following additions to the kernel
> build system:
>
> kerntypes-y   += <object files>
> KERNTYPEFLAGS += <compile flags>
>
> Which build all objects listed in kerntypes-y with the CFLAGS from
> KERNTYPEFLAGS (defaulting to CFLAGS) into a top-level Kerntypes
> file.

First trying to understand exactly what you want.

So you expect kerntypes-y := file.o
to be present in one or a few places outside arch/
And then in one or a few files within arch/ the arch
specific types are brought in with kerntypes-y := archfile.o

And kbuild shall link the resuting files to a single kerntypes.o file
to be located in the root of the kernel output dir.

There are a few (solveable) issue with this.
- kbuild needs to keep track of all kerntypes.y files. This is done for
  the kernel with a built-in.o file that links all .o files for a given
  dir and subdirs. In this was the final link is just a few built-in.o
  files (+ a bitmore).
- Addind kerntypes-y would make kbuild infrastructure even more scary
  than today. There most be some very good reasons to add more
  complexity to the current implmentation.

Maybe a simpler solution could be deployed:
One file for all of the kernel located in kernel/kerntypes.o
Then the arch makefile can link in their relevant files
in a post processing step like when we build bzImage and the like.
This requires much less support in common kbuild files.

> Unfortunately I'm a little lost in the current kbuild infrastructure
> so some help would be very welcome.

If we can agree on something I will give it a try.

        Sam