Hi Suzzane

>    However I would like to know if it is possible to have a Makefile
> inside the foobard directory that will link foobar1.o and foobar2.o
> into one say foobar.o and have the below line as:

The lowest granularity the kbuild system works with is a module.
So what you can do is to define a module in the foobard/ directory.
Then you would stick a dependency on this module in your top-level
module in maind/.

The Makefile's would look like this:

Makefile (stripped all the conditional stuff):

obj-m := maind/ foobard/

foobard/Makefile:
obj-m     := foobard.o
foobard-y := foobar1.o foobar2.o