https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=526419
Bug ID: 526419
Summary: [BUG] SystemD "/dev/gpt-auto-root" fails
Classification: I don't know
Product: kde
Version First unspecified
Reported In:
Platform: KDE Linux
OS: Linux
Status: REPORTED
Severity: normal
Priority: NOR
Component: general
Assignee: [email protected]
Reporter: [email protected]
Target Milestone: ---
Created attachment 196687
--> https://bugs.kde.org/attachment.cgi?id=196687&action=edit
A start job is running for /dev/gpt-auto-root
DESCRIPTION
Unable to install KDE Linux, after I install a previous installation.
STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1. Install KDE Linux
2. Fuck it up
3. Delete the partition
4. Reinstall (boot the KDE Linux USB)
OBSERVED RESULT
```
[******] A start job is running for /dev/gpt-auto-root
[FAILED] Failed to start Enforce Volatile Root File Systems.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Initrd Root File System.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Mountpoints Configured in the Real Root.
```
EXPECTED RESULT
KDE Linux boots into the live environment, and you can run the installer, and
install again.
SOFTWARE/OS VERSIONS
Operating System: KDE Linux 2026-09-28 02:54
KDE Plasma Version: 6.8.80
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.31.0
Qt Version: 6.11.2
Kernel Version: 7.2.7-arch1-1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-10210U CPU @ 1.60GHz
Memory: 32 GB of RAM (31,0 GB usable)
Graphics Processor: Intel® UHD Graphics
Manufacturer: HP
Product Name: HP 260 G4 Desktop Mini PC
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
After some research, I managed to solve the problem by deleting the EFI
firmware variables, after trying almost everything else, including deleting and
recreating the EFI partition.
Grok showed me that I could delete the variables like this, so I went for this
version instead just one big wildcard. And it worked, after that I could boot
the KDE Linux USB installer and install.
```bash
sudo chattr -i /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderDevicePartUUID-*
sudo rm -f /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderDevicePartUUID-*
sudo chattr -i /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderEntrySelected-*
sudo rm -f /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderEntrySelected-*
sudo chattr -i /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderEntries-*
sudo rm -f /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderEntries-*
sudo chattr -i /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderTimeOut-*
sudo rm -f /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderTimeOut-*
sudo chattr -i /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderInfo-*
sudo rm -f /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderInfo-*
sudo chattr -i /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderFeatures-*
sudo rm -f /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderFeatures-*
sudo chattr -i /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/OsIndications-*
sudo rm -f /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/OsIndications-*
sudo chattr -i /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/OsIndicationsSupported-*
sudo rm -f /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/OsIndicationsSupported-*
```
I don't know whether this is an KDE Linux bug or an SystemD bug - but I can't
imagine that it is intended to behave like this, not giving the user a choice.
And in KDE Linux perspective, it is bad that you can't boot the installer,
after previous having had an installation.
What if I want two installations ? I have not tried that, but I do have two
Neon installations, A and B, and do a refresh when I feel like it. KDE Linux
should eliminate that need, being immutable, but still, some might want two
installations.
--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.