Bug ID: 419252
Summary: Eventual constant high CPU usage with nvidia
proprietary driver and desktop effects
Target Milestone: ---
STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1. Do stuff in KDE desktop for a while, perhaps play videos in browser (seems
to trigger the symptom with greater probability).
Kwin_x11 eventually and permanently enters "rage state" in which it uses a lot
of CPU, grinding on all of my 8 cores and using about 70%-80% of each.
Normal CPU usage.
Operating System: Arch Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
Qt Version: 5.14.1
Kernel Version: 5.5.11-arch1-1
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
Memory: 15,6 GiB
- the symptom kicks in after a while
- once kwin enters the bad state, it remains in it
- while in the bad state, CPU usage can be reduced to normal by disabling
desktop effects, but immediately goes up again upon re-enabling them
- restarting kwin_x11 while in bad state causes the new kwin_x11 process to
enter the bad state immediately
- the mildest measure that "cures" the kwin state is logging out and back in
- it _seems_ that the bug is more likely to manifest during the first session
than after logging out and back in, but this might be a red herring; I haven't
tested it enough times to be sure
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.