Le 30/12/2014 19:52, Albert Astals Cid a écrit :
El Dimarts, 30 de desembre de 2014, a les 19:29:47, Bruno Coudoin va escriure:
Le 30/12/2014 18:49, Albert Astals Cid a écrit :
El Dilluns, 22 de desembre de 2014, a les 21:00:25, Mario Fux va escriure:
Good morning dear KDE people

After KDE's first fundraiser (crowdfunding attempt) in 2012 [1] we had
(or
it's still ongoing) six more this year:
- For the Randa Meetings 2014 [2]
- For Krita: open source digital painting | Accelerate Development [3]
- For Tupi: 2D Animation Software for Everyone! [4]
- Make the World a Better Place! - KDE End of Year 2014 Fundraising [5]
- New Unified Graphics for GCompris [6]
- Kommander [8]

Money is not an easy topic
but avoiding it doesn't solve the problems. And if people don't know
about
certain things like that they should coordinate with KDE e.V. in the case
of money they won't. So it's on us to tell the community and tell new
members of the community.
This is an interesting topic too and i wanted to bring it up for some
time.

I'd say the type of fundraiser can be split into two types:
   * KDE generic
- For the Randa Meetings 2014
    - Make the World a Better Place! - KDE End of Year 2014 Fundraising
* Project specific - For Krita: open source digital painting | Accelerate Development [3]
    - For Tupi: 2D Animation Software for Everyone! [4]
    - Make the World a Better Place! - KDE End of Year 2014 Fundraising [5]
    - New Unified Graphics for GCompris [6]
    - Kommander [8]

I'm all for specific projects doing fundraisers for their own things
(though as said in the previous email i'd like some more coordination
happening), don't think i'm not.

But,

Sometimes that projects that have had project specific fundraisers request
funds from the KDE eV to run a sprint.

KDE eV funds are not unlimited, so for me sometimes it seems that those
projects are being a bit unfair to the rest by running their own
fundraisers and then also asking for money from the common pot.

What would people think if for those projects that have run "big"
fundraisers (we don't want to put off people that did a 100€ fundraiser)
the KDE eV would only sponsor part of a sprint and the rest of the money
should come from the money they raised independently?
Hi,

My feeling is that projects begging for money
I'd suggest you don't use "begging for money", it doesn't have a good sound ;)
True, bad wordings.

one way or another are
either the most active or have a good plan for it.
I don't understand what you mean with this sentence to be honest.
I just mean to say that requesting money is a sign that the project is alive.

The rule you propose would 'punish' at KDE eV level these projects which
may be the best candidate for the requested fund.
I don't think It would punish anyone, it think it makes money distribution
fairer.
Sure the discussion is to find the best way to share a scarce resource, money. My point was that having independent funds or not may not be the best criteria. Sure we have to take this in account so the whole discussion is more about by how much to value this criteria in the decision process.
What concerns me is that some projects by their nature may be easier to
fund independently. Other low level project with deep or hidden code
which are of major importance for the KDE infrastructure are disadvantaged.

Why don't we give KDE eV funds by comparing what the requester want to
do with the money and what is the added value to KDE as a whole.
Because as i said, the world has a limited amount of money and so does the KDE
eV.

When project X asks money for itself instead of asking money for KDE eV, it's
probable that if person Y donates, then person Y may not donate to general KDE
eV fund raisers since he'll think (i already donated) so project X gets a
donation and not the KDE eV.
Well, you are assuming that people willing to help KDE are the same as the one helping a specific project. This is not necessary true, in the case of GCompris the audience goes beyond KDE, I can't measure it but for sure some money we got on our graphic fund raising does not comes from our KDE supporters.

Bruno.