On 2015-08-17 09:53, John Layt wrote:
Hi,

I've started to update the old TechBase Getting_Started pages for the
new KF5 world [1].

My aim is to teach the one simplest quickest way to build KF5 for new
KDE contributors. There's a few key concepts I want this rewrite to
follow:
1) There is only one way to do things, no giving alternatives
2) There is only KF5, no KDE4
3) There is only kdesrc-build, no manual messing around

Yes, excellent plan. Options are confusing to people who don't yet have the knowledge to weigh them up.

The three build scenarios (= new dev personas) that will be presented will be:
1) Build an app only using packaged Qt and KF5
2) Build Plasma only using packaged Qt and KF5
3) Build Frameworks using packaged Qt

That seems like a good selection.

All the more detailed or historic information will be removed to other
parts of TechBase [2]. New build instructions for external devs just
wanting to use a Framework or two should also go here and not
Getting_Started.

At some point we will need to address this "extra info" as well - there's no point leaving a jumbled mess around.

This may result in some default build configs needing to be added to
the kdesrc-build repo to make life easier. There may also need to be a
couple of simple scripts to set-up kdesrc-build to start with, and to
actually run things seeing as kdesrc-build doesn't. The less the new
dev has to worry about the better.

Thoughts? Is anyone else working on something similar?

I've been thinking about starting on the same task, but the CMake tutorials I'd been promising people had higher priority (I've done the main one that had been requested, though). Actually, after you posted about this on another thread, I did some tweaks to those pages you made.

I think we want a brief "next steps" at the end of the build instructions - "hey, you did the thing, look here for what to do next". The obvious next step is to submit a patch (either claiming a junior job on b.k.o, say, or some pet issue the person already wants to solve).

Alex