On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 10:47 PM, Sebastian Kügler <se...@kde.org> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Sebas,

> As you may have followed, at Blue Systems, we're in the process of revamping
> the infrastructure around add-ons, basically what is currently served by
> opendesktop.org.

Two questions if I may :)

1) In the past opendesktop.org transferred to us nightly a copy of
pre-OCS get hot new stuff formatted information and associated data.
This supports KDE 3 and early KDE 4 era applications, as well as
applications which never transitioned to using OCS. You'd be surprised
how many hits it still gets....

What are the plans in regards to this data export?
The data needs to be transferred to us as the applications are coded
to use a download.kde.org url, although this should be redirectable
without issue if need be.

2) There are some RDF (predecessor to RSS) formatted feeds which we
download from a hidden URL on the opendesktop.org site, and then serve
up on www.kde.org. I believe the opendesktop.org site points clients
to the kde.org hosted copy of these feeds in it's metadata markup, at
least it did last I checked.

What is planned here in the future?
Unfortunately as Akregator and many other clients will already be
configured to retrieve the feed from kde.org we'll need to support
this in some fashion (redirects shouldn't be an issue here if need
be).

> One of our goals is to open up development of an ocs-compatible server
> component. As we're nearing completion of the underlying infrastructure and
> licensing bits, we'd like to actually start thinking about its future, and get
> more people involved to think about it with us. To us, the current
> opendesktop.org is only the beginning, we can imagine it becoming a truly Free
> and open software store for KDE and others in the future.
>
> To start this effort, we'd like to invite interested people to a sprint to
> make plans, discuss strategies and tactics and generally start an open
> development process.
>
> The meeting could take place in week 21, between 23 May and 28 May, and we'd
> be happy to host it as a 3 days sprint in Bielefeld, Germany -- but we're
> flexible in this regard.
>
> If you're interested in attending this meeting, please reply to this thread or
> let me know via email, so we can gauge interest and perhaps start making
> travel arrangements.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> sebas