On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 13:42:35 CEST Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I recently realized that unless you ask fellow KDE contributors personally
> where they live, you don't really know where over the world (or even in
> your home country) KDE is spread.
>
> [...]
>
> So, two questions:
> 1. Does that make sense to you?

We had a "heat-map" of committers in the old commit-digest:
https://commit-digest.kde.org/issues/2014-11-16/
So yes, it makes sense.

Also, for example:
https://www.debian.org/devel/developers.loc

> 2. If yes: Does anyone know of a piece of code that allows people to enter
> their city of residence and then show people on a map (ideally as an OSM
> overlay), or could otherwise maybe create it?

If it's not for the fact that sysadmin want to replace identity, a custom
field there with the city and/or coordinates and some script to grab them,
convert into geojson, and it's really easy (read: few lines of code) to setup
a map with leaflet.

http://leafletjs.com/examples/geojson.html

Ciao
--