On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 06:41:57PM +0200, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On 20 September 2016 at 19:04, Jonathan Riddell <j...@jriddell.org> wrote:
> > Added:
> > "Content on collaborative edited websites such as wikis must be
> > licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 4.0
> > International."
> > Rationale: we have no policy for wikis but they are very important to
> > us especially with wikitoLearn so we should add one.  Our wikis are
> > currently CC 3.0+FDL but we should consider moving to CC 4.0 (CC
> > includes an or later so there's no difficultly in doing this).  FDL is
> > unmaintained and not much used so we can drop this.
>
> WikiToLearn is currently dual licensing CC-BY-SA 3.0 / GNU FDL and
> we're considering just dropping FDL as it is quite cumbersome and we
> don't really use it anyways.

Right, that's why I suggest dropping FDL usage across all wikis and new docs.

> We would need to keep BY-SA, but I am unaware of any particular
> difference between 3.0 and 4.0. We can of course evaluate only
> backward compatible changes, and we need to be backward compatible
> with 3.0 for a long time due to the usage of Wikimedia Commons content
> (still mostly 3.0).

4.0 just clarifies some bits and makes it more international.  It has
the additional advantage that content can be relicenced as LGPL 3,
usful for code examples.  CC 3 has an "or later" clause so content
from wikimedia commons can be moved to a CC 4 licenced wiki/

Jonathan