On 8 August 2017 at 21:46, Elvis Angelaccio <elvis.angelac...@kde.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure I get this argument. Do we have evidence that new contributors
> are scared by IRC? How is signin up on RocketChat/Telegram/whatever easier
> than using http://webchat.freenode.net/ ?

Teams including VDG, Promo and Sysadmins chose not to use IRC.  I show
IRC to my friends and they recoil in horror and ask what that nerdy
stuff is.

> Again, do we have evidence that Rocket chat is more used than IRC or other
> protocols? I'd be very surprised if that's the case.

It's not. The proposal is to change that by scrapping IRC amongst KDE.

Do we expect people to use Mutt for e-mail? Some of us still love it
and it has simplicity and low memory use on its side, but times change
and people prefer nicer experiences now. That is happening with
real-time communication whether we like it or not and we need to
consider moving with the times.

Jonathan