> On 10 Aug 2017, at 15:27, Marco Martin <notm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 7:57 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aa...@kde.org> wrote:
>> You can't expect me to read a 200 messages backlog in 20 channels just in
>> case
>> something important was said while i was away.
>>
>> Also one of the reasons of why i hate to use Telegram for anything that
>> "actually matters" is this "always on" feature.
>
> that's sooo true for me as well :)
> and i guess it's the exact opposite of why so many people prefer
> telegram over irc, but on my end, i *love* that when i'm offline, i'm
> really offline

I get that point. The thing is that people who have grown up with modern IM
systems have a different mindset. They are used to not missing anything while
away, they just expect things to be that way.

You always have the option to temporarily mute your IM app’s notifications,
though, but you can’t set “office hours” and people don’t get a notification
when they try to ping you while you have it muted.
We could add “Provide easy way to set availability times and communicate
non-availability to others” to the requirements list, though. Slack has that,
and it’s really useful especially when you use it for work.