On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 10:12 PM Supriya Palli <supriyahar...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>

> My name is Supriya Palli and I am a first-year Computer Science B.S.
> student at Florida State University. I currently finishing up a C++ course
> in Object Oriented Programming and am looking for ways to continue my
> learning in C++ and other technologies over the summer. I noticed that some
> of the projects you have listed for Google Summer of Code include C++ as a
> skill, but I am not sure I would meet the other skill requirements. Are
> there any specific projects you would recommend for beginners? Or any
> projects I could contribute to outside of the Google Summer of Code program?
>

> *Thank You,*
> *Supriya Palli*

Hello Supriya, thanks for writing. You're rather late to the program, I'm
afraid, but perfect timing to prepare for next year. The deadline for
student proposals is the 9th, and part of the requirement, as I'm sure
you've seen, is linking some commits to the KDE codebase. The deadline
gives you not enough time to connect to a team and develop a good proposal.

The specific task I suggest is to run the software! install a linux
distribution that has KDE Plasma and our applications, and use that as your
every day computer environment. Do you encounter bugs in something you
like? See if you can fix them after reporting the bugs on bugs.kde.org.
Upload your diff, your patch on Phabricator if that team uses it. Join
their IRC/Matrix/ etc channels, subscribe to their mail list, and get to
know the developers. See how they interact with their GSoC students. There
are lots of teams, so hang out in #kde-devel, the general channel too.
#kde-soc is the channel for GSoC students and mentors -- all are welcome.

GSoC is only one way to contribute to KDE, and not the major way most get
involved at all. Start at https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved and see
where you end up!

All the best,

Valorie