El dimarts, 3 d’octubre de 2023, a les 19:18:37 (CEST), Paul Brown va
escriure:
> Hello,
>
> > That is not correct, Akademy makes a huge use of the dot for sharing info
> > to the wider community
> >
> > You can see this by looking at the articles on https://dot.kde.org/
>
> But that reasoning is a bit weird, no? I am reading "There are many Akademy
> articles on the dot because Akademy articles are posted on the dot". But
> surely the same could be said of another site, say akademy.kde.org, if we
> started posting Akademy articles there, right?
>
> I don't see how that makes using the dot over any other site better.
>
> > KDE needs somewhere for official news, having that just mixed in with blog
> > posts would make them much harder to find and be drowned out in noise
>
> I would argue that it is not noise. Blog posts  collected on the planet, by
> and large _are_ KDE news.
>
> If anything the dot brings more noise to the planet than any other source,
> as multiple largely unrelated  topics are covered on the dot, while blogs
> of the different projects and developers tend to focus on narrow, specific
> topics.
>
> In any case, if noise is what you want to avoid (and it is a valid point to
> bring up), it makes much more sense to publish Akademy news on the site that
> hosts all the other Akademy info, that is: on akademy.kde.org and
> interested parties can go there to get their news.

I disagree, I see akademy.kde.org as the page for people explicitly interested
in Akademy, but even people not really interested in Akademy are potentially
interested in what happened in it, e.g. because they are interested in the
decision we took to rename Plasma to Quark.

> The same goes for KDE e.v. announcements (new sponsors, Board sprints,
> advisory board meetings, etc.), and news and blog posts covering KDE's
> mentorization programs: they should live on the sites that talk about those
> things so people who are only interested in those things can avoid all other
> noise.
>
> And if you want a wider array of news (i.e. something noisier), well, that
> is what the planet is for.

I disagree, the planet is an assortment of blogs from contributors, not a news
page.

> By removing the dot from the equation, we are
> helping readers reduce their exposure to noise.
>
> It is also worth pointing out that the traffic to the dot is extremely low
> and does not make up for the effort of writing for it and probably
> maintaining it. While monthly visits to other sites are beyond the
> thousands, sometimes the 10s of thousands, monthly visits to the dot are in
> the hundreds, rarely breaking 10 visitors a day.
>
> I understand that not all projects equally popular, so there will be a a
> wide differences in traffic,  but the dot is a news site. Maintaining a
> news site nobody reads makes no sense.

Maybe nobody reads it because nothing is written into it. Last news item is
from month ago, why would anyone visit a news page with so little news?

Cheers,
  Albert