On Sun, May 5, 2024 at 8:37 AM <christ...@cullmann.io> wrote:

> On 2024-05-04 21:56, Akseli Lahtinen wrote:
> > On Saturday 4 May 2024 14:47:35 GMT+3 christ...@cullmann.io wrote:
> >> My proposal: we enforce Breeze as icon set and style everywhere. And
> >> we
> >> provide still a way to overwrite that for the user, but if the user
> >> didn't set something manually,  idenpendent what the system propose,
> >> we
> >> just use Breeze. And we depend on that as dep e.g. in Kate, if you
> >> install Kate, that icon set and theme is installed.
> >
> > +1. For me as someone who changes icons sometimes just to see and
> > tinker
> > around,
> > i think this makes sense. We have reliable fallback, but we still allow
> > users to customize things which is, well, our thing! :)
> >
> > And if the custom icons break i do not end up with broken apps, so
> > i really do not see any downside here, as user or dev perspective.
>
> Yes, if some user switches a theme or style in our system settings
> or in the application (like we do it with the color scheme switcher some
> applications like Kate have) that is fine.
>
> But beside that, we should just force our default style and icon set,
> like we do on Windows and macOS already, that will even make some
> patches
> and ifdef's useless we need now to sprinkle in all apps we really
> support on
> these platforms.

Definitely agree with this, having to add special handling to every
application to get a good experience on that platform is not ideal.

Having our Frameworks handle this in one place, with a consistent approach,
will overall improve the quality of the experience users get with our
software outside of a Plasma desktop environment (and reduce developer
porting workload) - and might help break some of the age-old stigma that
KDE apps have to be used with a KDE desktop environment.

> Greetings
> Christoph

Cheers,
Ben