Thomas Lübking wrote:

> Am Sun, 23 Jan 2011 20:43:42 +0100
> schrieb Milian Wolff <m...@milianw.de>:
>
>> Recently, the format of the subject of git commit emails was adapted
>> to use the old SVN format. This sucks in my opinion and I want to
>> have it changed.
>
> To me, this would be the driving question.
> *Why* was it changed in the first place anyway?
>
> It looks just like a bad idea to me, but I guess there /is/ some
> justification which me and many other recipients don't know, thus
> can't have an informed opinion about this?
>
> Thomas

I believe it was to un-break commitfilter emails.

FWIW the problem I had with the old git format was that the subject was not
long enough. I guess pretty=oneline only takes the first 72 chars or
whatever of the first commit line, but in practice people don't stick to
that as a limit, so pragmatically it should be extended if there's a way to
revert to that email subject.

All the best,

Steve.