On Monday, January 31, 2011 17:48:38 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday, January 30, 2011, Michael Pyne wrote:
> > Like I said, "xml-support" branch on kdesrc-build git. If you want to
> > give
>
> _very_ cool. will the good news today never end? ;)
>
> serious question: once this is stabilized, can we make this the default
> recommended way of building KDE from git on techbase?

Sure, but I won't be pushing that on TechBase unless asked to do so. I prefer
not to evangelize my script too much although at the same time I understand
the desire for a more canonical method for building KDE.

> pros that i can think of:
>
> * it would mean that we could cannibalize the docs for kdesrc-build for
> those pages on techbase

Although I've worked hard on them, I think the current docs aren't exactly
what's needed for TechBase. There should be many more "Here's how to do this"
and less "Here's the exhaustive list of every stupid option". Not that it's
hard to fix on TechBase, but any docs cannibalization should probably be
limited to a link from TechBase to docs.kde.org for those who want to know all
the options.

> * it would be a lot simpler to document than the current 7 headed hydra
> monster pages we have now :)

I think I agree here. ;)

> cons:
>
> * it means encouraging people to get and learn one more tool to get
> involved with KDE

And because of that I think even if we make it the "recommended" way to
perform the build, that we should still have the manual instructions fully
documented on TechBase.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne