On Tuesday 16 August 2011, Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> On Monday 15 August 2011 23.31.26 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> [...]
> > 8) Testing
> >
> > We shortly discussed testing, continuous builds and nightly builds.
> > I hope Volker (or somebody) can write a better summary.
> > Volker has a prototype for easily running VM-based builds on
> > Linux-machines, which contribute their results to a cdash dashboard.
> > Marcus introduced us to cdash@home, which has a similar purpose, i.e.
> > make it very easy for people to contribute their machine as a
> > continuous-build host to a project.
> > It seems there is growing interest in establishing structured testing for
> > KDE, also highlighted by Till's talk "The limits of portability".
> > More details to come...
>
> Don't forget that there is a trial up and running on http://build.kde.org
>
> This is a Jenkins installation that is currently triggered by the commit
> hooks and do continious build + test of kdelibs (KDE/4.7), kde-runtime
> (master), kdepimlibs (master), kdepim (master) and kdepim-runtime
> (master).
>
> The plan is to expand this to all (former) modules and atleast the stable
> and master branches.
>
> Any feedback regarding this site would be appreciated.

There are currently several parties interested in running builds/test.
There is you working on Jenkins, Volker is working on setting up virtual
machines so users can do builds in a seti@home style, and Marcus is trying to
see how cdash@home could fit for KDE.
It would be good to coordinate the plans of the different people in some way.
Should we do this on kde-buildsystem or somewhere else ?

Do we want to set up machines which build everythings regularly ?
Or do we want to find users interested in specific applications or libs
setting up builds just for this one part ?
How do we want to deal with covering different build options ?
And how about the different operating systems we support ?
Do we care more about fast turn around times for continuous builds and
targeted email notifications (so I get an email really fast if I broke
something), or are we more interested in getting complete builds done from
time to time ?

Alex