On 01/10/11 15:27, Dario Freddi wrote:
Me and Bjorn have been discussing extensively about how to improve the current
situation with Power Management in KDE. We focused on simplicity, still
without losing power-user features. And we have a plan I'd like to share and
get some feedback on.

I just want to say that I think this is a great idea. I generally get annoyed at computers trying to second-guess me, but at the same time I want my computer to adapt to my current situation, and I really don't know enough about power management (or various other things, like fine-tuning of network settings) or have the patience to change every little thing to match what I'm currently doing.

I've read the entire thread, and I have come to the conclusion that the main reason there are so many emails in it is that people have been talking at cross-purposes. It seems completely natural to me to have the system (or me, by changing the profiles configuration on a per-battery-state and per-activity basis) choose default power settings based on AC state/battery level and what I have told my computer I am doing right now, but still be able to tweak odd things in special circumstances. This seems to be exactly what the new powerdevil code will do. And the inhibit button is a wonderful idea - really useful when I'm watching something on BBC iPlayer in full screen.

Also, Wi-Fi and bluetooth really don't belong with power mangement. How does powerdevil know whether I actually need to use those features? It doesn't. Trains often have wi-fi these days, after all. So I should just turn them off manually when I know I don't need them and need to save power.

So, basically, great work, Dario.  Keep it up.

Alex