Am Montag, 13. Mai 2013, 10:06:59 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> On segunda-feira, 13 de maio de 2013 17.41.58, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
wrote:
> > Interesting problem still: so any public symbol from a static lib can
> > potentially appear multiple times in a process, if coming with different
> > libs/modules, and then the first instance of that symbol shadows all other
> > instances, possibly even of incompatible versions? Evil trap...
>
> This is the same old problem of conflicting symbols. It's nothing new.
>
> In fact, it still exists *because* it's missing the latest innovation, from
> 2005: hidden symbols.

Never hit this problem with _static_ libs in all the years so far, so new for
me ;)

((I somehow would have assumed that symbols from static libs are namespaced on
linking, especially as noone seems to have guarded such linking in any other
way, also did not catch my attention elsewhere yet. Possibly because people
were not aware that libQtUiTools is a static and not a shared lib, this fact
being hidden behind the var ${QT_QTUITOOLS_LIBRARY}))

So, still wondering what the (most) platform-independent fix can be from our
side to this problem?

Cheers
Friedrich