On Tuesday September 16 2014 11:31:30 Ian Wadham wrote:

> The socket name is generated in 3 or 4 places, I am not sure how many. All of
> these must "line up" if KCrash, kdeinit4, klauncher, kded4 and kwrapper are
> to run as and when required and interact correctly on Apple OS X. And I am
> not even sure how much or how many of those background processes are really
> needed on Apple OS X or what their usual uses are or what their uses should
> be on Apple OS X or even whether new versions of all the processes are going
> to be used in KF5.

I think that's irrelevant. It's a blackbox ... so be it. We just know all apps
must use the same $DISPLAY value. I'm pretty sure all apps also go through a
shared KDE initialisation phase, probably part of kdelibs. Forcing the DISPLAY
env. variable to a sensible, constant value at the start of that phase should
set the variable as required. It's a hack, but we're probably not going to be
able to do any nicer for KDE4.
KF5 will probable (hopefully)? evolve to using something other than $DISPLAY
... unless that same thing is used by Wayland!

R.