On Mon, June 8, 2015 11:32 pm, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 8:25 PM, Christoph Cullmann <cullm...@absint.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> for frameworks, it is all very nice and automatic, the version in the
>> CMakeLists.txt get auto-updated on each KF 5.x release.
>>
>> It seems to me, for the "applications" collection, something similar
>> might make sense.
>>
>> E.g. I missed to ever update the Kate version since 5.0 and other
>> applications like Dolphin and Konsole seem to have similar problems.
>>
>> Would it make sense to have some "we auto-define some version CMake var"
>> to KDE Application release number?
>> For e.g. bug reports that would make all things easier.
>> Or do I miss some magic already in place (e.g. the opensuse packages
>> seems to have patched release numbers, at least for Konsole).
>>
>> Greetings
>> Christoph
>
> I'd welcome such feature. I always forget to update my applications'
> version.
>
> Maybe it would be best to ask the release-t...@kde.org?

There has been debate about this for frameworks, and there is an argument
there (not agreed by everybody) for making all frameworks have the same
version, since framework libraries are dependencies for other software.

The same arguments don't apply to applications, which in general are not
dependencies. Other than convenience for maintainers who forget to update
version numbers, I can see no good reason for forcing applications to have
a uniform version number. I prefer using the version number to reflect the
development status of the application (by use of major, minor and patch
version numbers), as in the past. This makes it easier when dealing with
bug reports, to know the state of the program at the version in question.
For maintainers who want to use some other scheme, that's also fine. The
important thing is to leave the choice.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.