Am 04.12.2015 11:08, schrieb Ben Cooksley:
On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 9:01 AM, Rolf Eike Beer <k...@opensource.sf-tec.de> wrote:

Think of SPF: I sent an email to a kde.org email address only some weeks ago. My domain sets a SPF policy. The KDE server accepts this (it's actually correct), and then sends the mail on (unaltered). Now the next server also checks SPF and will reject the mail, because the KDE server is not allowed to send mail for my domain. Now you have 2 ways out: either the KDE server rewrites the "mail from" header (what you will later find as Return-Path in the mail header), or the final destination says allows the user to say "hey, I use those kde.org server as a forwarder to me, so whatever SPF says, mails from that host are fine". Both ways work, both are fine, but both require some sort
of action somewhere on the path.

Rewriting to workaround SPF restriction is also standardised - as a
mechanism known as SRS - see http://www.openspf.org/SRS

Has KDE implemented this in the last few weeks? Before it was not.

That part is simple. For DKIM stuff get's more complicated because you
sometimes _have_ to modify the body, e.g. when you need to base64- or qp- recode parts of the mail because the receiving mail server does not support 8bit-transfer (which is an issue by itself, but still sadly legal). So with DKIM you are actually screwed at this point. The only good way it is again to permit your users to ignore DKIM signatures from certain hosts (e.g. if you subscribe to a Debian list, then simply ignore DKIM for the Debian servers).
Finding out those itself is not an easy task either.

So all in all one can enable DKIM for list services, but for user accounts it should be opt-in with an easy way to whitelist certain hosts for relaying.
Everything else is just asking for endless bounces.

Note that DKIM senders and receivers are usually running on modern
infrastructures, so 8bit transfer shouldn't be an issue.
For user to user transmission, there is no reason why mail bodies
would be modified.

Well, nice try. Out of 5 mail providers I checked 3 failed: AOL, GMX.de, Web.de.

Greetings,

Eike