Am Sonntag, 3. September 2017, 18:14:49 CET schrieb Jos van den Oever:
> Dear KDE-ers,
>
> A new project is up for review: Rust Qt Binding Generator.
>
> The project is a command-line executable that creates Rust code and Qt code
> from a binding description in JSON.
>
> The code is currently at kde:scratch/vandenoever/rust_qt_binding_generator
>
> If you want to use Rust code in your Qt project or if you would like to add
> a Qt UI on your Rust code, this program will help you.
>
> The binding can describe a Objects, Lists and Trees. Objects generate C
> ++ derived from QObject. Lists and Trees generate C++ classes derived from
> QAbstractItemModel. On the Rust side, a trait is created. This trait is the
> interface that the developer needs to fill with code.
>
> The project comes with a demo application that shows Rust code powering a Qt
> widgets project, a Qt Quick Controls project and a Qt Quick Controls 2
> project. It shows a list, file system tree, a system process view and a
> chart.
>
> That demo with the code for it is easiest way to appreciate what you can do
> with rust_qt_binding_generator.
>
> The idea of this binding generator is that you write each part in the most
> appropriate language. Rust bindings for Qt are hard to get right and will
> still have caveats for a while. With this generator, you write the UI in C++
> or QML. The generated code has no dependencies apart from Qt Core and the
> Rust crate libc.
>
> A simple example: Hello World.
>
> ```json
> {
>     "cppFile": "src/greeting.cpp",
>     "rust": {
>         "dir": "rust",
>         "interfaceModule": "interface",
>         "implementationModule": "implementation"
>     },
>     "objects": {
>         "Greeting": {
>             "type": "Object",
>             "properties": {
>                 "message": {
>                     "type": "QString"
>                 }
>             }
>         }
>     }
> }
> ```
>
> Preparation: create a new CMake project with a Rust project in the folder
> 'rust'.
>
> ```
> kwrite CMakeLists.txt
> kwrite bindings.json
> mkdir rust
> (cd rust && cargo init --name rust --lib)
> ```
>
> Create bindings with this command:
>
> ```bash
> rust_qt_binding_generator binding.json
> ```
>
> Add the files to the main Rust library module, `rust/src/lib.rs`
>
> ```rust
> extern crate libc;
>
> pub mod interface;
> mod implementation;
> ```

> [...]

3 months passed and this is still in kdereview. Time to move it on or bounce
it back, to playground or even outside of KDE spheres.

I would like us to accept it though, extragear/sdk seems the best fit.

Before though this should be addressed at least:
https://phabricator.kde.org/D9357 (Some fixes for CMakeLists.txt)
https://phabricator.kde.org/D9458 (Fix i18n message catalog naming, add
catalog for generator app)

One could also argue about the name of the generator binary,
"rust_qt_binding_generator" is quite verbose. Perhaps "rqtbindgen",
"rustqtbindgen" or similar would be following existing naming (cmp. e.g.
"cbindgen" Rust crate for similar purpose).

Cheers
Friedrich