On Thursday, 2016-01-21, 12:28:02, PCMan wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 6:16 AM, Frank Reininghaus <frank7...@googlemail.com
> > wrote:

> > You said that a patch is in the Qt bug tracker, but all I could find
> > with a bit of searching is a link to this Chromium report, which has a
> > patch:
> >
> > https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=543940
> >
> > Is that the patch you mean? Do you know if it has been submitted for
> > review to Qt? If not, do you think that you could make that happen
> > (since you seem to know quite a bit about drag&drop) or help to make
> > it happen?
>
> Yes, that's the patch I referred to.
> It's not attached to the original bug report, but the patch is mentioned in
> the comments.
> FYI: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-47981

The problem is that if there is no attempt to get the patch merged, it will
likely not happen.

Similar to KDE, a patch that cannot be properly reviewed is basically "not
existant" unless the maintainer of the base code has enough time to deal with
any necessary changes themselves.

Part of dealing with code contributions is using the project's code
contribution infrastructure for that.
E.g. for a github hosted project that would be a pull request, for a KDE
project a Phabricator request and for Qt that is a Gerrit request.

Maybe whoever created the patch in question doesn't know that the way to get
some fix into Qt is to upload it to Gerrit?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring