Am Freitag, 17. Februar 2017, 17:34:39 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> If the user doesn't have the privilages best response is to show an error
> dialog saying what needs done to give the user the privilages.

Right, I agree that the error handling (for this case in particular) should be
improved.

kfloppy just runs the external tools, in case of failure it "parses" the
output to recognize known problems and displays a more appropriate error
message then.

But there's no check for "permission denied".

In the case of "real" floppy drives, i.e. fd0/1, it bails out earlier already
anyway when it tries to figure out the drive's size/geometry, though the error
message is not great either, just "Internal error: device not correctly
defined."

I plan to add a check for permissions *before* the tools are started. That
would be needed anyway to be able to determine if kauth should be used (I
would consider it a regression if I suddenly would have to enter a password).

Though handling that case with a better error message will definitely be the
first thing I'll do.

(Please note that I left out release-team in my reply on purpose, I think the
technical discussions are not really well-placed there...)

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang