Hi Ade,

(Sorry for top-posting I'm typing on the phone)

From a user perspective: yes, we definitely should have something like this.

There should not be a need for root privileges, though.

As for getting information about which config file to use: maybe we could add
that information to the appstream files? Hardcoding configuration files in you
program certainly won't scale.

Overwriting config files while programs are running won't work. That's probably
going to be an issue with desktop settings (and apps as well).

Regarding system-dependent configuration: we briefly talked about this during
the configuration box at Akademy. The consensus seems to be that this is
actually resolution-dependent configuration. Some apps already store window
placement and state per resolution. Not all, though...

HTH,
  Johannes