On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 1:21 PM Simon Redman <si...@ergotech.com> wrote:

> Hi Valorie,
>
> Thanks for organizing this!
>
> I have just added myself as the KDE Connect mentor for the Windows port:
> https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2019/Ideas#KDE_Connect_for_Windows_port
>
> What is the skill level expected of students? Is it reasonable to assume
> they should be able to figure out reasonably complicated problems on their
> own, like getting Windows set up for development?
>
> Thanks,
> Simon
>
> On 1/30/19 12:51 AM, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>
> Hi all, tonight I've moved the project headings which were empty of ideas
> from the 2019 page. I pasted them into the end of last year's Ideas page
> [1] in case some of you (choqok, kopete, kdevelop, kgpg, kwin, peruse,
> plasma, wikitolearn) are going to add ideas late and want those headers
> back. I added all the relevant information I could find before opening up
> the page to ideas; I should have alphabetized them first!
>
> They are alphabetized them now [2]. Better late than never.
>
> A few ideas still have no mentors listed; please get that done now.
> (KDEConnect, LabPlot, Okular). TBD or "the team" are not good enough for
> our proposal!
>
> Reminder: our deadline is 6 February; less than a week. The org
> application is done except for the Ideas page.
>
> Valorie
>
> 1. https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas
> 2. https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2019/Ide
> <https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2019/Ideas>as

Hey Simon, thanks!

If you have a requirement for students like that, it seems to me it should
be added to the Idea. For most projects, getting a Win devel environment is
not important, so please mention it. If you read through the main GSoC page
[1] (and all propective mentors, please do), you will notice that we
*require* some KDE commits to be linked in the student proposals. That
means that the students have at least 1. a KDE identity, 2. a login to Phab
or Gitlab, 3. a checkout of the part of the codebase they will be working
with, te 4. the skill to upload a diff.

I think it's important, as you work with prospective students, to remind
them of these requirements and that this process is competitive. We can
work with kids who don't yet have all the skills they will need to complete
their projects, but they have to be willing to step up and show off their
skills before we can choose them for GSoC.

Experienced mentors will tell you that mentoring is work. Rewarding work,
but harder than you think it will be. For those of you that find
communication with students difficult, ensure that you have a backup mentor
who can help you with this part. Communication is about *half* of a
successful GSoC. Students need to know if they are heading in the right
direction, have their blind spots pointed out, and sometimes, be encouraged
when they feel lost. We can lose even brilliant students when the
communication isn't good, and that makes all of us feel bad.

Let's all of us communicate early and often! And that includes mentors and
admins, too. We admins are here for you mentors as well as the students.

PS: we could use another GSoC admin or two!