On zaterdag 2 mei 2020 14:46:12 CEST David Hurka wrote:
> > On 2 May 2020 12:02 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <kosse...@kde.org> wrote:
> > And yes, most of the code written in recent years seems to have missed to
> > add
> > context in the i18n calls. The older among us have failed here to properly
> > teach the new generations of contributors about good i18n code. :) Time to
> > improve.
>
> I expected that somehow. With the new pre-commit CI in GitLab, could we teach
> one of the code checkers to complain about new i18n() without c? Maybe by
> deprecating i18n()? And if the string to be translated has only one word
> (like in the example of “New” or “New...”), it may make sense to require more
> context than just a UI marker.
>
> Yes, I am suggesting to forbid i18n() without c.

That's simply not possible. A quick check in krita shows

boud@boud-ThinkPad-T470p:~/dev/4.3$ git grep i18n | grep -v i18nc | wc
   4222   25936  531642
boud@boud-ThinkPad-T470p:~/dev/4.3$ git grep i18nc | wc
    770    6956  114510

There is no way we are going to halt development in order to add context to
4222 translatable strings -- even if we could come up with the context,
because, not being translators, we developers don't know what the translators
need to have for context in all those 4222 cases.

--
https://www.krita.org