Hi,

I'm not really happy with how the KDE Apps Monthly Update is happening. I
understand why we moved away from the KDE Applications brand and announcement
but the current monthly update doesn't feel better, at least from a reader
perpective.

My first complaint with it is that the announcements are synchronized with the
release of the release service. This means that the publications of an app
update are happening at a 'random' date every month. Example from the last few
announcements

* Thu, 23 Apr 2020
* Thu, 05 Mar 2020
* Thu, 06 Feb 2020
* Thu, 09 Jan 2020
* Thu, 12 Dec 2019

This is not great because it means that the time between updates is variables
and that it ties the monthly app update to the release services, something I
thought we were trying to move away for good reasons.

Another point I'm not happy with is that we include major version releases but
also some minor bugfix releases. This is not optimal because the end-user/press
is mostly interested in the new big releases with big changes instead of boring
small bugfix releases. I don't think bugfix releases are not important but this
is more interesting for distros and hardcore KDE fans than the average users
and the press. And I think the goal of the Apps Monthly update was to be
something to promote to the world. And the problem is that if we were to not
include minor releases, some month update would be pretty much empty.

And the last point I'm not happy with is that the current draft for the May
update contains an huge section about AppImages
(https://invent.kde.org/websites/kde-org-announcements-releases/-/blob/master/content/2020-05-apps-update/_index.md).
 This feels wrong to me since AppImages is not a KDE project and I was thinking
that we didn't endorse any official ways to get our software.

But I'm not sure about what could be a better solution.

Maybe using kde.org/announcements/releases as a place for apps who don't have
their own website/blog to do their announcements, so that we get multiples
posts per month instead of one big summary per month. This would resolve my
first complaint about having the announcement tied to the release service, and
also allows us to have the possibility to not mix minor and major release
announcements in one announcement.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Carl