On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 4:57 PM Nate Graham <n...@kde.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Congrats to the entire KDE community on the impending launch of the KDE
> 6 MegaRelease! I'm so impressed with how folks came together to make it
> amazing. It's a very impressive release and I think people are gonna
> love it.
>
> I've started pondering post-megarelease projects. We've spent so long on
> porting and bugfixing that I think it might be useful to shift gears to
> feature work, and I'd like to brainstorm potential large-scale projects
> and gauge the level of interest in putting resources into them soon.
>
> Here are some ideas of mine to get the creative juices started:
>
> * David's input method playground stuff [1] is amazing and needs to be
> developed and productized
> * GNOME's Libadwaita app platform has been a runaway success for them;
> evaluate our offerings in comparison and see what we can do better

I think it really helps that they got their act together about their
developer documentation and experience. It's coherent and easy to
follow all from https://developer.gnome.org/. We've started building
an equivalent at https://develop.kde.org/, but we're not quite there
yet.

Additionally, my last go-around with KDevelop didn't exactly get me
"started" with making a KDE application like how GNOME Builder does
with its templates. This problem is going to be much worse with KDE
Platform 6, since KDevelop has not yet been updated for it.

> * Unified theming infrastructure for KDE apps, GTK apps, and Plasma.
> ** Relatedly: QML/JS in themes is dangerous; move away from it

I've heard from people over the years that they'd love to have easy
SVG/CSS style theming that has complete coverage (like Kvantum but
actually works everywhere), do we have a task to track making this
possible?

> * Start adding release notes to our apps' AppStream metadata [2]
> * Finish up and ship the new Breeze icons
> * HIG is outdated and mostly ignored, and needs an overhaul to make it
> useful

Yes, I've noticed that it's somewhat inconsistent with what we do for
KDE apps these days...