Hi,

> We have to ask: what causes buggy releases?

People rushing things in at the last minute, even better if unreviewed. Plasma 5.18 was a prime example of this. Every single time there's drama on Beta tagging day for some last minute change that should go in. To remedy this I wanted Beta feature freeze to be super strict, and even had release people do a "soft feature freeze" even before that.

To minimize potential Frameworks dependency problems I would even go as far as put Feature freeze on same date as Frameworks tagging date so that no new stuff goes in that could require a Framework change, like the wallpaper JPG vs PNG situation.

But did people care about all of this? Nope. We had a wallpaper contest that was explicitly scheduled to go in even after the Beta. This is unacceptable and next time we do this I will flat out revert a wallpaper change after the beta.

Next is this pointless scroll bar visual change. Why did that have to go in a day before the Beta, and - surprise - cause problems all over the stack which require a bunch of Frameworks fixes?

Another topic was the KUserFeedback KCM. There had been substantial changes also on release date and this is a feature that must be spot-on and work 120% from day one. The KNewStuffQuick stuff was a substantial change even after Beta freeze...

I think you're getting the picture. The problem isn't the release cycle of Frameworks, it's a lack of discipline, and I'm quite sad about that.

Cheers
Kai Uwe