On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 9:00 PM Christoph Feck <cf...@kde.org> wrote:

> On 02/13/20 08:42, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > Part of the issue here is that Plasma has been known to add API to
> > Frameworks and then immediately, without any delay, start using it
> > (pretty much always breaking CI in the process)
> >
> > This means that other changes are likely being pushed into Frameworks
> > by Plasma with very little delay as well.
> >
> > Consequently this means stuff is landing in Framework repositories up
> > to the very moment it is released - a release that the next version of
> > Plasma (LTS) then depends on.
> >
> > A better way of approaching this would be to freeze the Frameworks
> > version you are going to require API wise at an earlier point in the
> > Plasma development cycle. This would allow for a full Frameworks
> > release cycle to pass where bugs encountered during the lead up to the
> > Plasma release can be fixed.
>
> You can find bugs in new code best if you are actually using it. I doubt
> that delaying using new API would help much.

The point here was that when new API is added, it has to be added much
earlier in the cycle, so that anything using it gets at a minimum a
full month to cycle among our developers and have all the issues
worked out - in the next release which is the one that Plasma actually
depends on.

Currently it is added to Frameworks and started to be used
immediately, when Plasma has already released it's first Beta - giving
little chance for code to be run on developer systems before it hits
end users.

Cheers,
Ben