sitter created this revision.
Herald added projects: Dolphin, Frameworks.
Herald added subscribers: kfm-devel, kde-frameworks-devel.
sitter requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  looking for some general thoughts on the concept

  osx and newer sambas send model data in the dnssd entires. this allows
  osx to show fitting device icons based on the remote (and CRT icons for
  services discovered through other means than dns-sd).
  e.g. if you share something from your macbook your imac will show a
  macbook/laptop icon instead of a generic computer screen.
  meanwhile machines found over SMB1 (and I guess wsdiscovery) are shown
  with CRT screens and a BSOD.

  this prototype would essentially allow us to have a similar level of polish,
  albeit a bit dependent on samba since samba would need to have a suitable
model
  set. for example tuxedo could set laptop-foobar in their smb.conf and a
suitable
  icon set on clients could show a laptop or even foobar specific icon instead
of the
  stock one.

  so, if we know the model we'd set
  `network-server-model-$modelName`
  e.g.
  `network-server-model-laptop-foobar`
  and an icon theme would be able to provide regular icon fallbacks
  to theme this.

  `network-server-model-laptop-foobar`
  as specific model icon (the foobar type laptop from $vendor)
  `network-server-model-laptop`
  as generic model icon if model isn't available
  `network-server`
  as generic server icon if the specific ones are not available

  on the WSD side we could also give WSD discovered hosts a WSD icon *cough CRT
screen* ;)
  in point of fact, I am almost certain that I've seen something like
_device-info,
  albeit much less precise, in one of the device profile SOAP specs. IIRC
  on the WSD side we can at least tell apart printers from actual computers,
not sure
  if that is worth the headache of having to deal with more soap though *shrug*

TEST PLAN
  have an osx machine on the network

REPOSITORY
  R320 KIO Extras

BRANCH
  wsd-model

AFFECTED FILES
  smb/dnssddiscoverer.cpp
  smb/dnssddiscoverer.h

To: sitter
Cc: kde-frameworks-devel, ngraham, kfm-devel, broulik, pberestov, iasensio,
fprice, LeGast00n, cblack, MrPepe, fbampaloukas, alexde, GB_2, Codezela,
feverfew, meven, michaelh, spoorun, navarromorales, firef, andrebarros, bruns,
emmanuelp, mikesomov