Hello everyone (and sorry for the massive cross-posting),

we are nearing an important milestone in the KDE Frameworks 6 development,
branching and thus splitting the development of KDE Frameworks 5 and 6.

Slightly behind the plan from Akademy this is currently scheduled for the first
week of January.

>From that point on, KDE Frameworks 5 is considered feature-frozen, feature
work should continue to happen in the master branch, primarily targeting KF6
then. Bugfixes of course can and should be backported for quite some time to
come, and KF5 releases will continue with the same pattern as previously. At
some future point we might start to increase the interval between releases
though, as the amount of changes decreases.

If you are using kdesrc-build all this should hopefully be transparent. Make
sure to update to the latest version though and set already existing 6 builds
to use the now existing "kf6-qt6" branch group.

On the CI we still have some work to do to keep the existing Qt 6 Plasma and
application builds working after branching (as those essentially rely on a
Qt6-based KF5, not a "proper" KF6), at least for a transitional period.

Despite all the careful planning and preparation it is quite possible that
this will cause disruptions of some form though, two major versions of
Frameworks at the same time is uncharted territory for our tooling.

If you have input or questions about this or want to help, the bi-weekly KF6
meeting happening tomorrow at 17:00 CET in https://meet.kde.org/b/ada-mi8-aem
would be a good place to discuss this. If you can't make it, adding your
topics to the agenda
(https://invent.kde.org/teams/frameworks-devs/kf6-workboard/-/issues/22) is
also an option. Email (kde-frameworks-devel) or chat
(#kde-devel) work as well of course.

Regards,
Volker